Thursday, February 13, 2014

Pablo Neruda Love Poem: When I die . . . (Cuando yo muera)



[This has become one of my most popular blog posts. People from all over the world have visited my site in search of this beautiful love poem.]

When I die I want your hands on my eyes:
I want the light and the wheat of your beloved hands
to pass their freshness over me one more time
to feel the smoothness that changed my destiny.

I want you to live while I wait for you, asleep,
I want for your ears to go on hearing the wind,
for you to smell the sea that we loved together

and for you to go on walking the sand where we walked.
I want for what I love to go on living
and as for you I loved you and sang you above everything,
for that, go on flowering, flowery one,

so that you reach all that my love orders for you,
so that my shadow passes through your hair,
so that they know by this the reason for my song.



*  *  *  *

Cuando yo muera quiero tus manos en mis ojos:
quiero la luz y el trigo de tus manos amadas
pasar una vez más sobre  su frescura:
sentir la suavidad que cambió mi destino.

Quiero que vivas mientras yodormidote espero,
quiero que tus oídos sigan oyendo el viento,
que huelas el aroma del mar que amamos juntos
que sigas pisando la arena que pisamos.

Quiero que lo que amo siga vivo
y a ti te amé y canté sobre todas las cosas,
por eso sigue  floreciendoflorida,

para que alcances todo lo que mi amor te ordena,
para que se pasee mi sombra por tu pelo,
para que así conozcan la razón de mi canto.

Pablo Neruda, Veinte poemas de amor y una canción desesperadaCien Sonetos de Amor.
Plaza y 
Janés. Ave Fénix 205-2. Sexta ediciónjunio 1998. 

No comments:

Post a Comment