Monday, March 15, 2010

For Esther on Her Birthday



A reflection on the Scripture readings
of the Roman Catholic liturgy
  for Monday, 4th Week of Lent, 2010.

The Prophet Isaiah 65:17-21
"Be glad forever and rejoice in what I create."

The Gospel of John 4:43-54
"Jesus went back to Cana of Galilee."


Lord Christ, 
 God of new,
of joy and creation.
 I praise you today
for one of your best,
my wife
my friend
and
partner,
on her birthday.

 You have blessed me
by sending her
to share my journey
through the second half of life.
 Grant us health
and length of days.

Can it be coincidence 
that today John
invites us with you 
back to Cana,
where you blessed two lovers
with abundance
of mirth-enhancing wine?

Happenstance,
that on this Lenten day
Isaiah sings in praise 
of newness and creation, 
of joy and rejoicing?
I think not.

On my daughters' behalf,
I thank you
for such a model 
of wisdom and virtue!

And grant to me 
that elusive third sight,
to see among
the miracles of life and love
your presence
even here, even now.
Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment